Prevent Weed Growth Between Paving Stones
There are few things more frustrating than weed growth between pave stones on your pathway or patio. Not only do they make the surface look untidy, but weeds are also tedious to remove. We’ll show you how to prevent weed growth between paving stones.
It’s important to understand how weeds get in between the paving stones in order to prevent them from growing in the future. Weeds don’t grow from the bottom up; they grow when the sand washes out allowing seedlings to fall from the top and into the spaces between your joints.
Properly installed paving stones will not be easily susceptible to weed growth. And while choosing the best materials for your project will help prevent weed growth, weeds are experts in finding places to grow. Even just a couple seedlings can quickly spread throughout your entire patio.
Despite how determined weeds can be, there are effective solutions that will prevent and deter weeds from growing. Here’s how to prevent weed growth between paving stones.
1. Ensure your patio or pathway has a sufficient slope to drain water when it rains. Weeds want to inhabit a cool damp environment; proper drainage will help avoid weed growth.
2. Regular Sweeping. Brushing your paving stones will prevent seedlings from settling, and will disrupt new weeds from fully establishing a place between your pavers.
If you already have weed growth between your patio stones, here are some helpful steps:
1. Remove any large weeds between the joints. Larger weeds are more difficult to remove with a pressure washer so it is best to do this step manually.
2. Use a pressure washer to remove the existing materials from the joints. This will remove all rooting zones and existing jointing sand. Be sure not to disturb the bedding layer that the paving stones are resting on.
3. Use an organic solution to ensure all rooting zones have been destroyed. Chemical solutions are quite damaging for the environment, and potentially harmful to pets or children. Non-chemical solutions include white vinegar or boiling water. By pouring either of these solutions over top of the infected areas you will kill already existing weeds and prevent new ones from sprouting.
Euro Paving will Pressure Wash, Resand & Seal Your Pavers
When cleaning pavers it is important to use the right settings. Pressure washers can emit a lot of pressure– enough to break down even concrete. When cleaning the pavers with a pressure washer, it is also important not to concentrate on the seams of the pavers. Creating a methodical pattern is also important. Often when pressure washing, you will see a professional pressure washer create a small column or row and clean them one at a time. This prevents dirt or debris from flying onto the clean side of the pavers. After the pavers have been completely washed, the next important step is to reapply the polymeric sand and fill in the seams of the pavers which hold them in place. After the polymeric sand has filled in the seams of the pavers, the polymeric sand will need to be lightly moistened with water. The polymeric sand will need time to harden. Once the polymeric sand has hardened, the sealant or protective coating will need to be applied. Again, a pattern will need to be created to prevent dirt or other debris from flying onto the wet sealant.
Pressure Washing & Seal Pavers in Norridge, Arlington Heights, Mount Prospect, Hinsdale and North Chicago,
Cleaning and resealing your pavers every few years won’t just improve the appearance of your yard, but it also helps preserve your pavers and improves their longevity. Euro Pavin provides pressure washing services that not only clean but also helps fight mold, mildew, and fungus from decaying the surface of your pavers, patio, decks and other surfaces that can be cleaned with the pressure washer. If you need help with any deep cleaning that requires a pressure washer, contact us today!
Call us now for a FREE estimate!